Filipinos call for another march

By: Cristine Parungao

Features Photo: Million People March 2013 by ABS-CBN News

 Once again, the Filipino citizens convene for the second time to abolish the Priority Development Assistance Fund or the Pork Barrel this Monday, Aug. 25, 2014 at Luneta Park. This will mark the 1st anniversary of the movement, ‘Million People March’ last Aug. 26, 2013.

Last year, the said movement was packed with an estimated crowd of 40,000 people-activist groups, youths, professionals and ordinary taxpayers that were notified through social media. It was started by musician Ito Rapadas through a random post on Facebook. And in due course, the post went viral and the people started to gather and clamor about their rage against Pork Barrel scam.

 

This year’s social media campaign on Facebook, “Stand up! Sign up! Against all pork!” calls for citizens to continue the fight and gather at Luneta Park from 6 AM-1 PM. Some protest groups who will participate in the movement are Nationalist Movement, Youth ACT Now!, Babae Laban sa Katiwalian, Concerned Citizens Movement, Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption, Scrap Pork Network, Church People’s Alliance Against Pork Barrel and groups from other sector.

 

Meanwhile, the Cebu Coalition said that they are working to get 5.4 million signatures, the 10 percent of the total voting population, who strives to scrap the Pork Barrel and other alleged abusive use of the government’s budget.

 

If they’ll collect enough signature, the Commission on Election will schedule a 90-day referendum prior to its effectivity.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s